A while ago I wrote this post about an Olive Oil Cake that I made for a morning tea at a friends house. Actually, I just looked up that post and it was 6 years ago… Wow that’s nuts. My friend used to hold themed lunches, Indian, Italian, etc and I always offered to bring dessert. For the Italian Lunch I’d googled and googled till I stumbled upon this lovely Olive Oil Cake.
I’ve always remembered this cake and have made it a few times since. I’m a lover of good cake and this one is always hands down a winner. It’s light and lovely with a beautiful Olive Oil and Lemon flavour.
A side note to start with – the recipe calls for ‘Cake Flour’. For this I take a 1 Cup Measurement, put 1/4 of a cup of cornflour in the bottom then fill the rest of the cup measurement with plain flour = Cake Flour. Also, I always use Gluten Free flour and prefer it for baking as I find it makes cakes and desserts a little lighter in texture.
Also, I now make it in my Thermomix but here’s the traditional cooking method recipe:
Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- 3/4 Cup Good Olive Oil
- 1 Lge Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 Cup of Cake Flour (see above)
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 4 Egg Whites
- 3/4 Cup Sugar Plus an extra 1/2 Tbs of Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a round springform Cake Tin and set aside.
- Finely zest entire lemon and whisk the zest into the flour.
- Beat the yolks with an electric mixer with 1/2 Cup of the sugar on high until thick and pale. Reduce the speed and add 3/4 Cup of Oil and lemon Juice, beating till combined. (Mixture may appear separated – just keep going!)
- Hold in flour mixture till just combined.
- Whisk whites with the salt till foamy then slowly add the last 1/4 cup of sugar till soft peaks form. Gently fold into the yolk mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and evenly sprinkle the extra 1/2 tablespoon of sugar over the top. Bake until golden, around 25 – 30 Minutes.